tiistai 31. lokakuuta 2023

European arrogance

 

 

European arrogance

 

I have watched now and then English travel programs from tv. Frankly, those are more like tourist promotion series. However, a famous Anglo-Saxon actor/actress/tv-person/movie star in late 50s or 60s is placed to walk through the manuscript. The story is always simplified. You know, like the tv stories made in USA, so that a three year old toddler can follow the story.

Now, the striking thing is the dialogue between the main character and various local folks. The haughtiness and condescending way to discuss is embarrassing. Are we white Eurasians still mentally above everybody else?  Part of the mass communication proves that we are. I discount the social media. There are very little or no manners and psychological deterrents.

 

On Monday, 30rd of October, the demonstrations broke out in Kenya, when the King Charles arrived at Nairobi for his royal visit to the former colony. Alike with relationships between Japan and South Korea, Kenyans demand for 'Unequivocal apology'  due to UK´s actions during the colonial era. The sincere public apologies is the hardest thing for a state and for an individual, too.

Colonial states have always shown their supremacy without any hesitance. Regardless of the continent and culture, once a strong power will keep its heritage to the bitter end. This applies to the world politics even today. Look the talks over heads of small nations conducted by USA, Russia and China. So, this arrogance towards weaker is perhaps not a privilege of the Europeans.

It puzzles me, why we people behave like that against each other. Are we still just cave men and hunters?

 

I spent more than 30 years of my career in international circles, mainly in Asia/Pacific and Middle East/Africa. I wonder, if   was during that time one of those sublime white a Tuan or a Long Nose(Chinese way to chaff us, westerners)? Was my behavior cocky to the point to embarrass my local business partners? Some of those became my lifelong friends with family ties, so apparently I was fair and open at least part of my travelling at work. 

 

My apologies for my mistake of the past being unintentionally a small ”colonial governor”.

Potius sero quam nunquam.


N.b. This was written without any assistance of the AI tools.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti